Thursday, October 29, 2020

Polished Potterheads - October 2020

 Polished Potterheads - October 2020

Halloween at Hogwarts Nail Art
Surprise! I haven't done HP nail art probably since last year... but I haven't been kicked out of the IG group Polished Potterheads so I finally decided it's time to re-join the monthly nail art challenges! October's theme is "Halloween at Hogwarts" which at first glance is like YEAH but then..we struggle for inspiration. What exactly sets a wizarding Halloween apart??
When this theme came up in the past, my first idea is actually Hargid's hut and the pumpkin patch where he grows pumpkins the size of garden sheds! He must get some help from his pink umbrella and a little engorgio *wink wink* But I set that idea aside, maybe next year! What inspired me to do this mani is actually an illustration in the... er..illustrated edition of the Sorcerers Stone. I remember seeing it on a shelf in the store for the first time and flipping through it - if you've got the book, take a look at page 135. It's a gorgeous blood red sky with quidditch hoops and the castle in the background. I believe the chapter is called "Halloween". So although there's technically nothing Halloween about this design, I drew inspiration from the chapter title and the spooky vibe.

Red Sky Nail Stamping
The base of the mani is a mess of colors. I did a few different colors dabbed on a makeup sponge and smooshed to create a base. I should have used a base color, white or the lightest of my polishes would have worked, as I had to apply a lot of layers to cover my free edge and the smoosh lost definition to be all mostly one color.
Nail Polish: Essie - Playing Koi, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri - Pumpkin Queen, Bee's Knees Lacquer - Soul
Stamping Polish: It Girl Nail Art - Mimosa, Hit The Bottle- A Vermillion to One, Maniology - Straight Up Black
Stamping plate: Uber Chic Beauty -Texture-licious. hehe 030

It's been over 2 years but Debbie (IG: ladyandthe_stamp) still inspires me to keep trying to beautiful skies with her stunning art work. She's no longer active but I still return to her page to look at works like this one  

Halloween at Hogwarts Nail Art
Other than the stamped sky, I only used the castle images on hehe 030 plate and filled it in a little so it's a solid picture. Annnnnd used black acrylic paint for the remaining nails *le gasp* I very very seldom do any free hand! 
Halloween at Hogwarts Nail Art
The nail art popped so good with a glossy top coat but gave such glare to the pictures. I really like adding matte top coat to try and get a clear image to show. 

Halloween at Hogwarts Nail Art

Take a look at the IG hashtag  for more artwork if you're an HP fan! 

1 comment: