Friday, February 23, 2018

The Digit-al Dozen Does Mythical Creatures: Day 5


The Digit-al Dozen Does Mythical Creatures - Koi

Tonic Polish Koi Pond
We've arrived at the finale for this week of mythical creatures, and I'm sharing my last one. Blogging day after day is taxing, since that's not my normal schedule, but I've enjoyed the manicures I made quite a lot. It was also awesome to see what everyone else brought to the table and take inspiration from them for the future, because nail art doesn't stop!
I'm almost sorry to show this, as it is not available for purchase, but I've been hiding this baby for close to a year now! Tonic Polish custom "Koi Pond", given to me by my bestie Beatrice last year for my birthday.
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
As Beatrice told me, she showed Linsdey (the magician behind Tonic) inspiration pictures of koi ponds and this is what they decided on. I also had to keep this under wraps for a while because, and I feel like such a hipster for saying this, this custom contains the famous unicorn pee pigment, and was made before the first UP polishes were released in the summer, so this was hush-hush. And after that, I just never felt like it was a good time to reveal this and steal the thunder, so to speak.Now more UP polishes are being made and sister pigments located, so there's quite the variety available for the general public to purchase.
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
Koi Pond  - a blue jelly base with unicorn pee pigment, ultra holo glitters, green iridescent and green UCC flakies
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
This is the best of all the ingredients one could stuff in a bottle - the holo glitters are like a signature part of a Tonic polish imo, UP is self explanatory, and flakies and more flakies. Blue is also great choice, perfect for a pond. All that's needed are the koi, and I can supply that!
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
Originally my mythical creature was going to be a gold fish, but as I was working on the art, I pulled out 2 more polishes with "koi" in the name, so it had to be koi! Isn't it cute and looking like it's trying to swim off the nail? :)
Tonic Polish Koi Pond
Silver - Esmaltes da Kelly - Kylo Ren
White - MdU
Aqua - MdU
Orange - China Glaze Japanese Koi Gold flakes - Nvr Enuff Polish Koi (also a custom polish)
plates: Creative Shop 51 & 28, Bundle Monster BM-725

Tonic Polish Koi Pond
As for mythological koi - the story goes that a school of golden koi were swimming upstream, getting stronger as they fought against the current, until they reached a waterfall, and most fish turned back. Some remained, and attempted to jump the waterfall - they attracted the attention of some demons that were hanging around nearby, who laughed at the efforts and heightened the waterfall. After 100 years, one koi finally reached the top of the waterfall. The gods recognized the koi for its perseverance and determination and turned it into a golden dragon. (Source) We had quite a few dragons showcased this week, and who knows, maybe some originated as koi :)

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted do the gold fish story, a Slavic folklore called "The Tale of the Fisherman and the Fish." Or as I learned, the Brothers Grimm fairytale called "The Fisherman and His Wife" which is the origin to the story I knew. Starts with poor fisherman pulling a gold fish in his nets, who asks to be released in exchange for granting wishes - the old man is too stunned that the fish talks and just lets it go. Tells the wife about it, who instantly tells him to go back and ask the fish to grant a wish - in the Slavic version it escalates from a new trough, to a new house, to noble status, ruling a province, becoming a tsarina and eventually the ruler of sea to command the golden fish. The sea grows stormier with each request, until at last the old man goes home to find his wife sitting in front of their tiny house, with the broken trough. The fish is magical, that's already enough to call it mythical, but the wish granting is like a genie power! So 2 stories in 1 mani, win win!

Be sure to take a look at the linkup and I'd love to hear what your favorite mythical creature was!
The Digit-al Dozen will return next month!


No comments:

Post a Comment