Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Digit-al Dozen Does Mythical Creatures: Day 3

The Digit-al Dozen Does Mythical Creatures - Firebird

Fire bird nail art
I'm gonna be punny and say that Day 3's nail are on fire! Hahaha, it's a bit obvious what my creature is, but hopefully it'll be a new perspective on it!
Long story short, I'm late posting because I unexpectedly got sick and nails were the last thing on my mind. Today ended up to be a stay at home snow day despite our best efforts to make it out, so I've gotta play catch up now. That'll teach me to be better prepared for the future, I hope.
Baroness X - Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
Baroness X - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - a terracotta orange filled with gold shimmer and red microflakies, seen here in 2 coats. I was pleasantly surprised by how warm it looks and how much I liked it on my nails. Orange and yellows aren't frequent visitors for me, but this color was lovely. Of course, Baroness X has good formula and application was a breeze, minimal clean up was needed.
Baroness X - Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
I'm still playing with the Fire & Ice collection that Courtney of Polished Lifting loaned me, and this is the House Martell color, for those of you that are fans.
Baroness X - Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
Since I am posting a little late, I got to see a lot of the Day 3 looks from the linkup already, and I've gotta say that great minds do think alike - there are 3 other fire-ey color schemes going on, representing the phoenix.
Fire bird nail art
For my creatures, I wanted to throw in a couple "alternative" ones, so to speak. I have one more planned, but both are found in Slavic folklore. This the the stuff of my childhood fairy tales, and these characters were always of mythical proportions in my head, so I wanted to share them. Different parts of the world have their own legendary creatures, so it's good to add to the mix! A firebird is typically depicted to be a fire colored peacock, with the crest on its head and the glowing "eyes" on the feathers. A single feather can light up the whole room, and is usually the trigger for an epic quest - "bring me the bird or it's off with your head" kind of quest. My favorite stories are "The Firebird and the Princess Vasilisa" and "Ivan Tsarevich and the Grey Wolf" - and to my shocking discovery, this kind of story is based on "The Golden Bird" from the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.  Now I'm conflicted, because my characters aren't that unique..but hopefully that means it's familiar to more people! 2 of the 3 stories have the bird stealing apples from the king's orchard, so I stuck a tree there. The birds I reverse stamped, filling in portions with gold & red, but letting the base color Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken peek out a little.  The feathers I also reverse stamped (color in on the stamper and apply to the nail once dry, a sticky base coat to help with the adhesion, like Orly Bonder)

I used quite a handful of polishes here:
Creamy white - Night Owl Lacquer - Snowy Owl
Gold glitter - Nvr Enuff Polish - Charms
Red jelly - Nvr Enuff Polish - Star Garnet
Stamping polish:
Orange - Kaleidoscope 11
Red - Hit the Bottle - Drop Red Gorgeous
Stamping plates:
Feathers - MoYou London Pro XL 05
Birds - Creative Shop 48
Tree - Creative Shop 38

Wow was this long or what! Maybe I should stick to creatures that don't need an introduction in the future! Check out the link up down below, I have 2 more to share in the next few days!






No comments:

Post a Comment